Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Mirabella Espresso bar and Gelateria

Kevin:  Aimee and I were enjoying a lovely day in Westchester.  We had a great lunch, went to Big Lots to do some shopping, and had a not so good experience at Puppies Puppies Puppies in Mohegan Lake.  We were on our way back home and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to fulfill a request on our Eats and Treats Facebook page by one of our fans and one of my personal best friends, Scott Perry.  He wanted to know where the best Gelato in New York was and we were happy to oblige!  So, we stopped at Mirabella's in Baldwin Place, NY to give it a try.



Mirabella’s has been opened for less than a year I think. The place is easy to access, since it is off of the main road.  When we walked in, I saw the coffee/espresso bar and many items or sale.  I also saw the menu overhead.



They have a lot going on at this place!  I see coffee, soup, sandwiches, rice balls, and of course, gelato.  Not sure why they have so many things to offer.  If I was walking off the street and was just curious, I would wonder what direction is this establishment is going.

I ordered a large gelato, Stracciatella (Vanilla base with chocolate shavings) and La Guiliana (Espresso and Mascarpone).  I had it topped with Nutella.


It was heavenly and though a little expensive at $6 and change each, it was worth it.  I cannot say it was the best gelato I ever had, but it was very close!  I do have an issue with the serving dishes there.  They use little plastic bowls that are designed to be reusable, but they treat them as disposable.  I feel that is unacceptable.  I finished my dessert and looked on the bottom of the bowl and it had the markings that it is dishwasher safe, yet they just toss them and buy new bowls.  Now I know why it costs so much!  Maybe they should put more thought into being more environmentally conscious.  Even using paper cups would better, they biodegrade.

AIMEE:  Even though Kevin says it's not the best gelato he has ever had, it's hands down, the best I have ever had.  I'm not big on ice cream in general, I can take it or leave it, I feel the same about gelato.  Don't get me wrong, whether ice cream, gelato or italian ice, its all very delicious. It's just not high on my list of must-have's.  Anyway, I choose Pumpkin and Dark Tuscan chocolate as my flavors, and also a spoonful of Nutella on top.  Totally sinful and amazing.



I loved every bite and I almost wanted to cry when I became too full to finish it!

I agree with Kevin about being a little more environmentally conscious.  Toss away plastic bowls is not the way to go.  If they don't want to go the paper route, perhaps they should only serve the gelato on a cone, so at least it's container is edible?  I don't know, just a thought!  I also agree that things might've been a bit mish-mosh inside the store.  There were a lot of different Italian food products on display and for sale.  There was also a large table on the front with Thanksgiving decorations on it and it looked very out of place with other random items on it.  I totally don't get the rice balls and soup offerings either.  If they mean for Mirabella's to be a CAFE, then that makes total sense, perhaps they should advertise that way?   All in all, I thought the service was great, the atmosphere was charming and the gelato was the best I have had in New York!

xoxo


5 comments:

  1. Yum. Gotta check it out. I've driven by many times, but never stopped in.

    Have you tried Johnny Gelato's in (W=what used to be) C-Town plaza in Kent- across from the schools? How does it compare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James Lynn, Mahopac NYNovember 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM

      This was a good read. Thanks. To comment on how Johnny Gelato's and Mirabella compare, I tried the gelato at Mirabella a few months back and couldnt have been more disappointed. I have been to Johnny Gelato's a bunch of times (my wife says way too much, although she loves when I do :) and absolutely love the flavors they have, but I figured I would try Mirabella since they are a little closer to my house. What a disappointment. The gelato at Mirabella has no flavor and according to the person working, they get it shipped to them from a manufacturer. Johnny's is definitley worth the extra 10 or so minutes it takes to get there when I need my Ice Cream fix.

      Delete
  2. Kevin LOVES Johnny Gelato's. I don't care for it as much. I really think Mirabella's hit the nail on the head, personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Johnny's because I like classic flavors. Mirabella's is very good, it's excellent in fact, I just love my raspberry and dark chocolate combo, and Johnny Gelato always has it in the cold case.

      Delete
    2. Hi James! Thanks for reading and replying :) I will admit I've only tried Johnny Gelato's once. I think I'm going to have to head back over to Kent and give it another shot and then perhaps I'll have to do a side by side comparison post! We hope you will continue to read our blog and give us your feedback. Thanks again! - Aimee & Kevin

      Delete