Sunday, October 21, 2012

MEATBALLS!!! It’s what’s for dinner!

Kevin:  The plan today was to make a beer-braised chicken for dinner.  The problem came upon me when we got to Shoprite to do our weekly food shopping:  I forgot to bring the recipe for dinner!  (My wife is notorious for doing this also). So I was left in a dilemma…what to prepare for dinner.  I asked my wife and she said was craving her grandmother’s meatballs.  Unfortunately Aimee’s grandmother Louise passed away many years ago.  I had made meatball subs 3-4 weeks ago for dinner and was shocked that Aimee approved of those meatballs!  I, personally,  found them to be a little bit dry.  So I knew we were in for a delicious dinner, but I gave myself a personal challenge to make the BEST meatballs I could.   I think my wife would agree: I totally aced this!

Here is the recipe!

Kevin’s Meatballs:

2 lbs of ground beef (80/20 preferred)

1 small or 1/2 medium sweet onion

3 cloves of garlic

1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs

3 Tbs milk

1 egg, slightly beaten

3 Tbs Italian seasoning

salt and pepper to taste.

Puree onion and garlic in blender or food processor.  Place ground beef in mixing bowl, along with rest of ingredients.  At this point, I suggest making a tiny test patty and cooking it in a pan and tasting it to check seasoning.  You won’t get another chance later. Mix well and form into golf ball sized meatballs.

At this point you can bake your meatballs until fully cooked, but I usually fry my meatballs in a mix of light olive oil and vegetable oil. (We like a crusty exterior). . Use any sauce you like.  Let’s face it. I’m not Aimee’s grandmother and I don’t really make my own sauce (at least not yet).  My wife & I really like Francesco Rinaldi and we can always doctor it up if needed. A lot of other sauces are just too sweet.  My wife can confirm - these meatballs will make your mouth smile!

 

IMAG0363

Aimee: All I have to say is.. oh my gosh…I know they aren’t very healthy but wow.. these were so, so good!  My sweet husband gave my grandma a run for her money!!

Here is my yummy sandwich:

IMAG0365

Kevin:  I hate to correct you in public…but frying is actually not as bad as it seems, if done properly.  If the temperature is kept high enough to keep the moisture in the food above the boiling point, the steam from the food will keep the oil out, preventing the food from becoming greasy.  I learned that on “Good Eats”!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever slow cooked your meatballs in the sauce for a while? I have always wanted to do that. (I don't know how to make sauce either!!) I heard some people say you need to cook them slightly in a pan before you put them in the sauce. Any thoughts??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never tried that. I usually like meatballs with a crispy.exterior. I had them like that a la Swedish meatballs (I wonder if they are really Swedish?). That is a great way to.make them for a party.

      Delete